Maroon

From Madrid to Scarsdale

Back to Article
Back to Article

From Madrid to Scarsdale

Photo Credit: Helen Marino

Photo Credit: Helen Marino

Photo Credit: Helen Marino

Photo Credit: Helen Marino

Alison Chan

The SHS Spanish Exchange Program returned from its hiatus in the 2017-2018 school year. This year, high school students from Madrid, Spain are living with a host family in Scarsdale for 15 days. Although the exchange students are staying for a short time, many have already adjusted to the Scarsdale atmosphere.

Helen Marino ’20, a Scarsdale High School student participating in the Spanish Exchange Program this year, also participated in the Australian Exchange Program last year. “With the Australian Exchange Program, I liked having the experience of traveling in order to submerge myself in a culture, not just to be a tourist. However, the Spanish Exchange Program is different from the Australian Exchange Program since it requires speaking in a language I’m not fluent in, which I’m excited for,” explained Marino, who is housing Pablo Guerra, a high school student from Madrid.

Even though the difference between Madrid and Scarsdale is huge, both Scarsdale High School students and teachers are trying to provide a smooth, easy experience for the exchange students. “Everything is really comfortable and easy for the exchange students. The teachers are all so nice, and I already met some of Helen’s friends. Overall, people in Scarsdale High School seem very friendly,” commented Guerra. He noted the differences between the schools and the environment. “Both Scarsdale High School and Scarsdale are so big. In Madrid, we have a lot of apartments and not as many American-style houses like in Scarsdale,” added Guerra.

Marino and Guerra have already gone to a Jets game and are planning to go to a Broadway play and a Halloween event in Sleepy Hollow. “I’m nervous to speak Spanish with Pablo for two weeks straight, but I’m also excited to improve upon my Spanish speaking ability. Also, going to Madrid and talking to locals will definitely help my Spanish,” said Marino. After the Spanish exchange students leave, the Scarsdale exchange students will live with their respective host families for two weeks over the February break.