Maroon

Top 5 Things To Do If You’re Staying Home Over Break

Natalie Schonfeld

You’re staying home this break.  You figure that you’ll spend the week in your house, sleeping and watching Netflix.  Well, turn off the TV because here are five fun, nearby activities that will spice up your vacation!

1: Go visit a museum!  Given our close proximity to NYC, there are countless options to choose from. If you want to see extraordinary artwork, go to the Museum of Modern Art, or MOMA, where you will find priceless modern art on display.  If you want to engage in history, the Natural History Museum is filled with fascinating artifacts and is the place for you.  Both museums are only a 30 minute train ride from Scarsdale and are definitely worth your time.

2: Indoor Skydiving!  If you have ever wanted to try skydiving but fear actually jumping out of a plane, then iFly is just right for you.  The instructors will thoroughly teach you the signals and procedures for your flight, ensuring your safety.  You will enter a tube that simulates jumping out of a plane, causing the experience to feel real.  If you choose the “HighFly” option, the instructor will take you higher up in the tube and spin you around.

3: Go on a hike!  There are numerous paths and trails right near Scarsdale that lead to scenic views.  In fact, both The Saxon Woods Park and the Silver Lake Preserve are in White Plains.  The fresh air and outdoors are a great way to have fun and get some exercise.

4:  Hang out with friends!  You’re definitely not the only one staying home this break, and it’s always refreshing to spend time with your friends in a setting other than school.  If your close friends are away, try reaching out to some classmates you haven’t seen in a while or would like to get to know.

5:  Relax! High school can be stressful, and break is the perfect time to take some well-deserved “me-time.”  Read a book, devote time to that hobby you’ve been too busy to enjoy, or learn the lyrics to a song you’ve always wanted to learn.  Spend your time on what you wouldn’t have the chance to during the school week.

Even if it seems like there is nothing to do at home this break, this list of ideas should help, or inspire, you to engage in new activities. Have fun, be adventurous, but, most of all, relax!