SHS Students for Gun Control

Back to Article
Back to Article

SHS Students for Gun Control

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Declinda Perfetti

Every high school building should be a safe place for students to come and learn during weekdays, but recent events have proven otherwise. Throughout this past year, there have been seventeen school shootings that have motivated many students to speak out about gun control.

The recent school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida has affected many Scarsdale High School students due to their personal connections with the students from the school. The shooting sparked a major debate about how our country is handling gun control, and a group of Scarsdale High School students chose to take action during this time by creating a club advocating for gun control.

The non-Scarsdale High School affiliated club, SHS Students for Gun Control, aims to educate others about the negative effects of guns. “We want to spread awareness about this issue, and we want people to feel safe going to school, or anywhere else,” remarked Alexa Doyle ’21, a founding member of the club. The club’s focus is to push for a change in our country’s gun control laws because multiple school shootings have occurred, yet there have been little to no changes in our gun control laws. “It seems like some are so desensitized to this issue because it happens so often,” added Doyle. SHS Students for Gun Control has seen this issue and chosen to take action and help change the way our country looks at gun control.

In addition to pushing for gun control laws, the club promotes school safety. Making every student feel safe when going to school is something the club hopes to achieve. The club believes this is possible by improving school security and restricting the sale of firearms.

Although the club has not been approved by Scarsdale High School’s School Government, its members hope that next year it will be. Currently, the club has over one hundred students, and it is open to everyone. The club meets every Sunday, and to join, contact Alexa Doyle or any other founding member of the club.