SHS Students Support Stoneman Douglas Nationwide Walk out

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff

Arin Hendell

At 9:55 a.m., the halls of SHS began to flood with passionate students wearing black clothing and red ribbons on their way to pay tribute to those lost during the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.  School administrators, teachers, and Scardale police officers stood around the huddled students in protection of the walkout. A number of students spoke on behalf of the 17 victims of the shooting, reading a short biography of each; the bios were followed by a moment of silence.  In addition, former Starlight campers who knew one of the victims personally, Scott Beigel, wore matching Camp Starlight shirts and shared some of their favorite stories, memories, and thoughts they had in his honor.  After For Good Measure performed a beautiful song, students were then told that the could return to their classes if they did not want to be a part of the walkout that would involve a more political discussion.  

Unseen, there was a great deal of preparation in ensuring that all the Memorial ran smoothly and efficiently “I wanted every second to have a purpose, and to contribute to the most powerful walkout possible” said Sneha Dey ’18, one of the many dedicated students who worked hard to coordinate and prepare the events of the walkout.  

Photo Credit: Maroon Staff