Maroon

• March 9Second pilot schedule will start on 3/11 with 5 minute common tutorial periods instead of homeroom on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays

Tracks/Check, Please! Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tracks/Check, Please! Review

Lauren Zou

On Friday 12th and Saturday 13th, 7:30 PM, the Drama Club put on a spectacular, student-directed show that left the audience clutching their stomachs in laughter. Tracks, directed by Alexa Trujillo ’18 and Steven Orlofsky ’18, told a story about life after death. Situated on a train platform, with one train traveling to hell and the other going to heaven, a series of characters with contradicting personalities, jobs, and lifestyles are stuck together to decide which train to take.

With hilarious one-liners and witty comments, laughter could be heard through the entire auditorium as the cast performed this intriguing story. Each character’s personalities and backstories were well-crafted, from a fierce judgmental lawyer, played by Rose Hanish ’20, to a supportive, peaceful nun, played by Lucy Cecil ’20, to a homeless teenager, played by Sophie Maddon ’20. Their roles were well-rehearsed, dialogue flowed smoothly, and the compelling plot, coupled with the acting expertise of the cast, enticed the audience into the story.

While the cast’s performance was stellar, the attention to detail in the stage props is also something to be noted. The bulletin board, which is something commonly found in train stations, was littered with papers, flyers, and random words. ‘À l’aide’, which means ‘help’ in french, was written across the top as an ode to the decisions and struggles of previous train station visitors.

Check, Please!, directed by Camilla Tardif ’18 and Daniella Ashman ’18, was the other one act play. A story about the horrors and uncertainties of blind dating, this play followed two individuals, one male and the other female, as they experienced dates with various strangers. Each date was a short bit that would begin well, but end in tragedy.

Gracey Jones ’19, who played the main woman, was subjected to the odd, weird habits of men, like an eccentric man who only seemed to be having a conversation with himself, played by Henry Lazarus ’20, and a man clothed in a burlap sack, played by Adam Regenstreif ’19. Jack Cecil ’19 played the main man, who was similarly placed in situations with an aggressive sports fan, played by Melissa Cohen ’20, a mime, played by Jessica Byers ’20, and even an old lady, played by Lucy Cecil ’20, strolling in with a walker. Through these dates, each set up on opposite sides of the stage, the woman and the man, both finally tired of these terrifying, yet hilarious encounters, end up leaving but bump into each other at the exit, sparking a love connection.

Every short act showcased the different personalities of blind dating and these entertaining anecdotes made the audience clap and almost sob with laughter. Each bit was delivered with a well-rehearsed smoothness that made it even more amusing, and the cast outdid themselves with this wonderful performance.

The event was a huge success. “Each play was able to successfully convey the message and from hearing the audience response, I think they enjoyed it too!” Aisling Doherty ’20, who played a foot psychic in Check, Please! commented. Tracks and Check, Please! told different, captivating stories, but each was riveting, well-told, and humorous to the audience.