Maroon

Boys Volleyball Wrap-up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys Volleyball Wrap-up

David Peng

This Thursday at Suffern High School, the Scarsdale Boy’s Varsity Volleyball team ended its second season with a loss in the Sectional game. The Raiders struggled against the talented Rockland team, losing 3 sets to 0.

Although the season ended on a disappointing note, the team demonstrated their strong improvement and the boys enjoyed every moment together. “This season was unbelievable. Even though we didn’t beat a team from Rockland County, we played with every team competitively. Our games and practices were fun, competitive, and intense. Everyone played very well and we improved throughout the year,” shared captain Steven Wetchler ’18.

The team won three games this season, a large improvement to last year, where they lost every game. However, all three of this year’s wins were against Eastchester, the newest and least experienced school. Unfortunately, Scarsdale was able to win only a few sets against other teams, never exiting a non-Eastchester game victorious. “I wouldn’t say I’m satisfied with how it went, but more happy. I would be satisfied if we’d beaten a Rockland team which was my goal from the first game, but I’m definitely happy that everyone improved a lot and we set a good precedent for the years of Scarsdale Boy’s Volleyball to come,” reflected captain Jeremy Wolfe ’18.

When the team wasn’t busy practicing or playing in games, the boys spent much time bonding, whether on long bus rides or over team dinners. “My favorite part about the season was spending time with my team. Especially during team dinners where everyone was engaged and everyone seemed to click, I felt part of a family and a group of guys that came together to learn and get better. Going through this journey with them is the most memorable thing I will take out of the season,” said Wolfe.

Wetchler and Wolfe, along Will Rittmaster ’18, Jack Ortner ’18, Maximus Han ’18 and Winston Han ’18, are all returning members of the team. As veterans, they were able to help the team grow and bond. “Playing these past two years have been incredible. I’ve created great relationships with many guys I never would have met. And I enjoyed every second of every day playing,” reminisced Wetchler.

Most of the seniors are considering continuing to play volleyball in college, either in clubs or on intramural teams. Whenever the seniors play volleyball, they will be reminded of the Scarsdale team they established and loved.