Annual Car Show in the Scarsdale Village

Max Yang

This past Sunday, October 1st, the 15th annual Scarsdale Concours d’Elegance was hosted in the Village. The Concours is a car show that features both classic and new cars. “Historically, the Concours showed classic cars from the ‘30s, ‘40s, ‘60s, and ‘70s. However, as younger kids started participating in the events, we made a focus to allow newer exotics as well, like this year’s 2016 Ferrari LaFerrari. For this year’s event, we had a 1908 car, and a 2017 car as well,” said Alex Forschner, a Concours board member. The show was extremely popular, and it was enjoyable for many. “I liked the show because I love cars and I think it’s just a fun thing to do. Most of those cars are a rare sight, so it’s cool to see them all in one place,” commented Rebecca Maude ’20.

Organizing the show is no small feat. “We have an application process where a person has to go on the Scarsdale Concours website, register their car, provide information on year, make, model, and send in some pictures. The board members get together once a month to review all of the applicants,” stated Forschner.

The event also benefits many local charities and organizations. Money earned from the event goes towards charities, and since the show started 15 years ago, the Concours has donated over $400,000 to local organizations. This year, the show benefited the Paulie Strong Foundation, the Scarsdale and Edgemont Family Counseling Service, and the Warrior and Family Assistance Fund.

One of the founders of the event, Evan M. Cygler ’06, was a Scarsdale High School student. “My friend and I, Denis O’Leary III, had a really big passion for cars, and we went to a school together, called Winward from 3rd to 5th grade. A couple years later, we were reunited, and we wanted to start a car show together. We were sophomores, and we formed a car club at Scarsdale High School. For part of our club, we did a car show. We treated this show like a business. We had sponsors, we sold ads for the journal, we promoted the show, we worked with the Village to get permits, we worked with local businesses to agree, and we worked with the police department to help prevent people from parking in certain spots on the day of the show. It was all because we loved cars, charity, and the town. Our club didn’t live on, but the car show did, and here we are today,” reminisced Cygler.