Things to Do Over the Summer

Need some inspiration on how to spend your summer? Here are 9 great ideas that will keep your summer interesting and fun!

1. Work at a Day Camp

Working with kids is a great way to gain some work experience and a little extra cash. Not only will you connect with the kids, but you will also make lots of new friends! Remember that this job does require a lot of patience, and the new responsibilities you will take on may push you out of your comfort zone.

Apply for employment at Camp Hillard in Scarsdale, NY here:

http://www.camphillard.com/staff/application.htm

Apply for employment at the Scarsdale Rec camp here:

http://www.scarsdale.com/DocumentCenter/View/401

1. Go on a Teen Tour

Need a change of scene? Consider going on a Teen Tour or traveling abroad this summer! Companies such as Westcoast Connection offer so many different programs and trips that you’re bound to find one you like! Whether it’s sightseeing, community service, or anything else in between, there are plenty of travel experiences out there to look into. These programs are a perfect chance to meet new people and try something new!

Find a trip that speaks to you at http://www.westcoastconnection.com

1. Do a College Program

If you’re looking to explore the college experience a little earlier, college programs might be the perfect option for you! Many colleges offer summer programs for high school students, where you can live in the dorms, and choose your own classes. The best part is that you don’t have to take any courses you aren’t interested in, so you can really decide to learn about whatever you want for your own knowledge. It’s a good chance to take classes hat aren’t offered at SHS, and to make new friends who have similar interests as you do.

Learn about EXPLO summer programs here:

https://www.explo.org/our-programs/

Visit any college or university’s website for information on the summer program(s) they offer.

1. Become a Lifeguard

Getting lifeguard training is a great way to earn some money this summer while staying cool and safe. It’s very helpful to have lifeguard training throughout life in case of an emergency, so working as a lifeguard in high school will give you a big head start in water safety. It’s important to keep in mind that as a lifeguard, you are responsible for the safety of the people in the water, so this job requires a certain level of responsibility, maturity, and alertness.

Apply for employment at the Scarsdale Pool here:

https://ny-scarsdale.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/391

1. Start a Business or Create an App

If your friends are always telling you should see your awesome your homemade stuff, this summer is the perfect time to do that! Starting a business is a fantastic way to get your name and product out there, gain some really useful business experience, and present yourself as a serious businessperson who can handle responsibility. Anything that involves sales will teach you money management – a vital life skill. If you know how to code, then try developing an app instead and see where that goes! The people who use your services may end up expanding your network, and colleges also love to see self-sufficiency and creativity!

1. Start a Youtube Channel

If your talent is less tangible and better conveyed live, then a youtube channel is a great way to put yourself out there. Even if you aren’t a performer, there is no one right way to make a video, so your channel can be totally unique to you and your abilities. Whether it’s gaming, cooking, makeup, singing, comedy, or literally anything else, youtube is a fantastic display for whatever you choose. Making videos might also just be fun pastime to do with your friends when you’re bored over the summer.

1. Go to a Music Festival

Can you think of anything better than going with your friends to eat good food and jump around in a huge crowd of people you don’t know? Didn’t think so. For the claustrophobic, this may not be your best option, but music festivals are a super fun way to experience live performances by your favorite artists. This will definitely be an unforgettable experience!

More information on music festivals for summer 2017 here:

https://seatgeek.com/tba/festivals/music-festivals/

1. Get an Internship or Work Experience

Getting a summer job or internship not only shows initiative, but also gives you a chance to explore a field you may be interested in pursuing. Even if your job is at a local small business, you will improve your people skills and learn about what it takes to run a business. If you want the opportunity to work somewhere bigger, you may be hired as an intern to learn about the job and get a better understanding of the work. Who knows? Your internship might turn into a part-time job for the fall!

1. Study for Standardized Tests

While summer is supposed to be a break from the usual school year grind, it can be beneficial to get a jump-start on your work. Standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and SAT2 do require a lot of preparation, so it can’t hurt to take some time out of your summer schedule to get in some studying.

by Aerin Gelblum