La La Land is a 2016 film set in Los Angeles, directed by Damien Chazelle. The movie focuses on Mia (Emma Stone) and the hardships she faces in her attempts to pursue her dreams as an actress. Down the road, Mia meets, and immediately falls in love with, Sebastian (Ryan Gosling). Sebastian is a talented, yet struggling pianist who desires to revive jazz music by opening up his own jazz restaurant. The star crossed lovers are forced to choose what matters most to them; love or their dreams. The inspiring story is accompanied with dancing and music, sung by the actors. “The songs in La La Land are more than just lyrics; they tell stories,” said Emma Reed ’19.
Upon release, La La Land received strong critical acclaim and broke the record for the most awarded Golden Globes, which is a staggering total of seven. Recently, La La Land was nominated for fourteen out of twenty-four Academy Awards. This is a record amount of Oscar nominations for a movie, tying with Titanic (1997) and All About Eve (1950). The highest amount of Oscars won by a movie is eleven, and this record is held by Ben-Hur (1959), Titanic (1997), and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003).
La La Land’s nominations are:
- Best Picture for Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, and Marc Platt
- Best Actor in a Leading Role for Ryan Gosling
- Best Actress in A Leading Role for Emma Stone
- Best Director for Damien Chazelle
- Best Original Music Score for Justin Hurwitz
- Best Original Screenplay for Damien Chazelle
- Best Cinematography for Linus Sandgren
- Best Costume Design for Mary Zophres
- Best Film Editing for Tom Cross
- Best Sound Editing for Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan
- Best Production Design for David Wasco and Sandy Reynolds-Wasco
- Best Sound Mixing for Andy Nelson, Ai-Ling Lee, and Steve A. Morrow
If you have not seen La La Land, then you should dance your way to the theatre while you still can!
by Katie Karp